Staying Stylish in Suburbia

5 Things I Would Tell My 20-Year-Old Self

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

I recently read an article in the Huffington post by Sara Lind entitled, "Life Advice for My 20-Year Old Self." I'm 30 now (soon to be 31) and I have to say I'm glad to be done with that part of my journey. It was good. I traveled a lot and experimented plenty during that time in my life. It was also really tough though. I certainly did a lot of learning by trial and error. Which got me to thinking about what 5 pieces of advice I might give myself in my twenties if I could. So without further adieu. Here goes...

                                            Source: piccsy.com via Juniper on Pinterest
..........................................................................................................................................................

                                                

1. Don't allow other people to dictate your actions

Do your thing. Stop trying to please. Stop worrying about other peoples opinions, whether it be family, friends or the perceived judgments of the greater world. I promise it will free you. 

2. Trust your gut when it comes to relationships.

If you feel like a relationship has run its course for whatever reason, let it go. Don't loose your sense of self. It doesn't define who you are and there are way worse things than being alone. Also, a broken heart hurts. Give yourself time to grieve but don't let it cloud the rest of your life. True love will come along. I promise.


3. Find the sweet spot between passion and practicality 

Resist the urge to major in something that is totally impractical but fun. Instead, study something that inspires you and can also give you the kind of skill set you need to go after a career. I know you're considering journalism and that would be a great fit for you. It's the kind of thing you'll end up doing eventually with your writing but it's a much longer road without the background. Don't listen to the naysayers. Listen to yourself. You know you better than anyone. Switch schools if you have to. Just go for it! Also, read more in college. Soak up your classes and appreciate the opportunity to do nothing but learn.

4. Don't be afraid to fail. 

Don't give into the notion that you can never fail as long as you never truly try.  Do you know what that is called? Self-sabotage! Failure is okay. So is success. Don't be scared or ashamed of either.  

5. Happiness is a state of mind. 

There is no one thing that is going to complete you or make you happy. Not a job. Not a man. Not more money or more friends or more clothes. Everyone else is not out there living the grand life while you waller around in the muck of the real day to day. We're all on the same boat. Life is what you make of it. Sounds silly I know but it really is all about your attitude. Once you let go of the sense that you can orchestrate your happiness externally everything will shift and you will find the peace. 

.............................................................................................................................................................

What about you? What advice would you give your younger self if you could?











3 comments :

  1. Oh, 20 Year Old Self:

    Don't rush it/force it. You will have many lives in this lifetime, so allow opportunities and success to come to you organically. Doing this will keep you from going in to debt, because you gave yourself time to save; having a bad job/career, because you held out for the right fit; and in healthier relationships, because you didn't settle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!! Amen! Thanks for stopping by the blog. Keep coming around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear 20 year old self..."understand" that ALL of life, the good and the bad, is the experience of life.

    ReplyDelete