Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Ageless Fashion

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

                                        


Our society tends to encourage style in young women, disregarding it more and more as we begin to age. I wonder why that is? Could it be that the emphasis on fashion has more to do with our obsession with attracting the opposite sex than it does with satisfying our own creative urges as women? After we become mothers we are all but given a free pass to wear sweatpants for the rest of our days. Why not, right? Haven't we done our duty in landing a man and creating offspring. And once you become a grandmother, forget about it. Your so called "age appropriate" clothing becomes limited to unflattering flub.

Only there's a huge flaw in this whole concept. I don't know about you, but I don't usually dress for men. If anything the women I know (myself included) dress to make themselves happy and to inspire and impress each other.

I've spent days of motherhood in my P.J's until noon and worn sweatpants to the park. But when I do make the effort to put a more inspired outfit together (even if it's just to go to the grocery store) and to care for myself in that very basic way, it's amazing what a different it makes. I feel better when I look better. It's as simple as that. And the way I feel is what I project to the rest of the world.

These ageless fashionistas inspire me to no end. They are clearly not dressing for anyone but themselves. It is who they are and what makes them happy. One of the most stylish people I know is my Step- Grandmother Marjorie, a tall southern belle with a slow honey-like draw, a flare for fabulous shoes, big jewelry and no shame in her game. A woman who was once quoted as saying. "I love gaudy. Gaudy is gorgeous!"

Let's hear it for breaking the rules and for self expression at any age! Who is the most fashionable older woman you know?












Source: popsop.com via Juniper on Pinterest




0 comments :

Post a Comment