Staying Stylish in Suburbia

The Art of Naming Siblings

Wednesday, May 8, 2013


<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I've always been obsessed with baby names. I know it sounds odd but researching names actually soothes me. Long before Esmae was even a twinkle in our eye I could be found combing through the name blogs in search of the most magnificent monikers around. Now that we're having our second child (it's going to be a girl by the way)I'm just as excited to come up with a second name. I think the trick to naming siblings(or "sibets" as it were)is to find a combo that both compliments and stands apart. It can be a difficult but I'm always up for a challenge. In fact I think we've finally settled on what our new baby will be called. I'm not ready to let the cat out of the bag just yet but in case you're also in the market for a sibling name, here are a few guidelines to consider from nameberry. Take them with a grain of salt. In the end I think you've just got to go with your gut on these things.

1-Consider Siblings when naming your 1st child 

I didn't really follow this when naming our first. Her name was going to be Esmae and that was that. In fact I was pretty sure I would never find another name I liked quite as well. 

2-Don't be too cutesy 

In other words don't name your kids Mylie and Rylie

3-Beware of the same-initial trap.

I had trouble with this one since I tend to naturally gravitate to names beginning with E. In the end I resisted the temptation though. 

4-Maintain consistent style, image, sex and tradition 

This one can be harder than it sounds. I do think it's important though and took it into serious consideration when searching for our second name.  

5-Tread carefully with unisex names

This goes along with maintaining a consistent style. If you name your first kid a unisex name like Tate then you might want to stick with that type of name for your second. Tate and Devon sound way better than Tate and Angelica.

6-Consider sibling nicknames 

Meaning make sure that sibling nicknames don't wind up too similar, like Mo and Jo. I think we might fail this test. 

7-Honor each child's individuality

Speaks for itself. 


<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A Few Imagined Sibset Combos

I had a bit of fun with these, nothing too serious, although I do sincerely like them all. They might not be your cup of tea. Names are personal little pearls. Either way though I'd love to hear what other great combos you might have to add to the list...

Georgia and Susanna (Southern Belles)

Walden and Emerson (A bit much perhaps but oh so literary)

Ottilie and Rosaline (Just plane pretty)

Annalise and Greta (For my German roots)

Olive and Hugo (The cool kids)

Easton and Wyatt (Cowboy up)

Davis and Maisie (Kinda jazzy)

Florence and May (Old fashioned beauties)

Arlo and Whistler (For my redneck roots)

Favorite fellow blogger sibsets

(from lifestyle and mom blogger Rebecca Woolf of Girls Gone Child)
Archer, Fable, Boheme and Reverie

Favorite name blogs








4 comments :

  1. Vivian, Ida, Yoltie, Tambra, (old fashioned names I came across in doing a family history)
    Picking names is a tricky and fun !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I love discovering old family names. Tambra is a great one. I've never heard it before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. coming up with different names for different aspects of your own personality is pretty eye opening..good idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed the post. Names are so important. Plus, there is something so creatively fun and fulfilling about the whole process.

    ReplyDelete