Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Must See Movie + Gatsby Goodies

Sunday, May 12, 2013








It's here!

One of my favorite books partnered with one of my favorite directors. I remember watching Baz Luhmann's adaptation of Romeo and Juliet in middle school and being blown away. It was the first time I had seen that kind of partnering between classic literature and modern aesthetic. Romeo's monologue set to Radio Head. Swoon! Now it seems Luhmann has done it again only with a slightly more grown up version of DeCaprio as Gatsby and the lovely Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan. I haven't seen it yet but if the trailer is any indication his homage to the jazz era overflows with attention to detail, opulence and the kind of glamor that only existed in the roaring twenties. The killer costumes alone promise to be a feast for the eyes. Of course it remains to be seen if the movie can live up to the story itself. Admittedly a rare feat and one that few adaptations manage to accomplish. But you never know. I've loved his movies before so I'm willing to give it a whirl. If nothing else I'll enjoy the sights and sounds with a musical play list that includes Jack White and Florence and the Machine.

To set the mood I've come up with a list of my favorite 1920's slang.

All Wet- describes an erroneous idea or individual, as in, "he's all wet."
Applesauce- An expletive same as horse feathers, as in, "Ah applesauce!"
Bee's Knees- An extraordinary person, thing or idea; the ultimate
Dry up- Shut up, get lost!
Get a wiggle on- get a move on, get going
Giggle Water- An intoxicating beverage; alcohol
Glad rags- Going out on the town clothes
Juice Joint- A speakeasy
Keen- Attractive or appealing
Kisser- Mouth
Pinch- To arrest
Razz- To make fun of
Rag-a-muffin- Dirty or disheveled individual
Swell- Wonderful
Swanky- Ritzy
Wet Blanket- Killjoy or solemn person
You Slay Me- That's funny

Plus, check out these Gatsby inspired goodies I've gathered up.

It's art deco meets modern day. Yes, it's true. I so wish I could go back in time and be a flapper girl. Which ones are you the most keen on?


Untitled #6



4 comments :

  1. love the slang....my fav is "you slay me"....not seen the movie...YET

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good one. I also really like "giggle water!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm keen on all of the above! But especially the pillow and purse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley! The purse is definitely one of my favorites. And the pillow is pretty swell too. Glad you like!

    ReplyDelete