Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Lavender Farm Frolic

Thursday, June 20, 2013

 Last week we discovered a lavender farm just up the road from us. It is a small family run business co-owned by a mother and daughter team and employed by grandchildren, neighbors and interns. When we first drove up there was a little store that sold a variety of lavender goods including soaps, oils, candles, jelly etc... We paid the small entrance fee there before walking up the dirt road. The first thing we came across was a little pinned in area with several bunny rabbits available for petting. Esmae was thrilled of course. The bunnies maybe not so much. Up further still we found the actual lavender fields. Not large but with a variety of flowers to choose from. There were baskets laid out on the grass for the taking and scissors too. We started wandering through the fragrant clusters. The stems were 12 cents each. Esmae was happy to help for a bit but there were also toys scattered around the farm to keep her occupied while I continued to gather flowers. 

Afterwards I was able to speak to the co-owner and grandmother who built her house above the fields after retirement. She was a sweet lady, content to see all the people enjoying themselves on her land. I also got the chance to speak to one of her grandchildren (who was probably high school age) and ask her about the different kinds of lavender grown there. She told me that the quickest way to dry the stems was to lay them out on a bed in a not too sunny room with a fan for two days. That's what I did and it worked brilliantly. 

All in all it was the most pleasant afternoon I've had in a while. Here are some of the pictures I took. I also included the varieties I picked and their suggested uses. Now I have three bundles hanging in my kitchen and filling it with fragrance. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with each of them but I'll let you know soon in another blog post soon. 

















Lavender



0 comments :

Post a Comment