Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Online Grocery shopping + What the World Eats

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

I love to cook but motherhood can make the weekly trek to the grocery store a dreaded affair. Not to mention the added pain of pregnancy. Waddling around the isles trying to check off my list while entertaining a two year old who could meltdown at any given moment. Not so relaxing. But I just discovered the BEST thing EVER!!! Okay y'all might not be quite as psyched about this as I was but did you know that you can order your groceries online? Of course you did. Even I knew that. What I didn't realize was how affordable it was. You can order online, drive to the store, pull up to the loading area, give them your name and be loaded up for only...FIVE dollars extra!!! What!? Oh and they save your list so if you always buy bananas, milk and bread for example you don't have to re-enter it every time. Brilliant!

I told my neighbor about this. She has three kids one of which is only three months old so she could relate. I asked her how much she thought it would cost to do the online grocery shopping thing. Her guess was fifty dollars. Not even close to the real deal. That's why I had to spread the word. Whether you an overwhelmed mom, preggers, sick, handicap, elderly or simply too busy to be bothered with the task, it's definitely worth looking into.

In keeping with the grocery theme I came across this series in TIME PHOTOS called "What the World Eats" from "The Lonely Planet." It highlights families from around the world, taking pictures of their weekly groceries and explaining how much they spend per week along with their favorite foods. Fascinating, right!?

United States



The Revis Family of North Carolina
Food expenditure for the week: 348.98
Favorite Foods: spaghetti, potatoes, sesame chicken



ITALY



The Manzo Family from Sicily
Food expenditure for the week 214.36 Euros or 260.11 dollars.
Favorite Foods: Fish, Pasta with Ragu, hot dogs, frozen fish sticks


Chad



The Aboubaker family at Breidjing Camp
 Food expenditure for the week: 685 CFA Francs or 1.23 dollars
Favorite Foods: Soup with fresh sheep meat


 Mexico



The Casales Family of Cuernavaca
Food expenditure for the week: 1862.79 pesos or 189.09 dollars
Favorite Foods: pizza, crab, pasta, chicken


Egypt



The Ahmed Family of Cairo
Food expenditure for the week: 387.85 Egyptian pound or 68.53 dollars
Favorite Foods: okra and mutton


Ecuador


















The Ayme Family of Tingo
Food expenditure for the week: 31.55 dollars
 Favorite Foods: Potato soup with cabbage



Germany



The Melander Family from Bargteheide
Food expenditure for the week 375.39 Euros or 500.07 dollars
Favorite Foods: Fried potatoes with onions, bacon and herring, fried noodles with eggs and cheese, pizza, vanilla pudding

2 comments :

  1. This is great advice! I never would have thought of this but I just tried it and I think I'm hooked! What grocery store are you referring to in your post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great!? So glad you tried it out and liked it. The grocery store I used was Harris Teeter. :)

      Delete