Staying Stylish in Suburbia

The new nursery

Saturday, July 13, 2013

We are at the two week countdown for baby number two. She could surprise us any time now which is why I'm so relieved to be done with the nursery. It feels good to have at least one room in our new house finished. Well, almost finished except for a paint job which will have to come later.

I had a lot of fun putting this room together on a budget. I wanted to create a space that felt calming, minimalist and feminine without being too girlie-girl, generic or overdone. I also chose pieces that she could grow into so I won't have to replace everything again in a few years.


The finished space



I love this paper star mobile from the Starcraft shop. It's simple and sweet and has great movement to grab the baby's attention. 


The crib was a craigslist find. Nothing too fancy but I liked the simplicity of it. Plus, it came as set with the changing table and the price was right. 


I cried when I first saw this print from, Yellow Button Studio. (Blame it on the pregnancy hormones.) I just loved the message for a little girl. 


This ombre paint job my hubby did on this chest of drawers ties everything together and makes the room feel so special to me. 


This painting by artist Debbie Littledeer was a gift and inspired the color pallet of the room. The stuffed kitty was also a gift from good friends. They own a shop called Ox and Rabbit Soda and Sundries with amazing products. Check them out if your ever in Durham North Carolina. 


Nothing like a soft rug and a rocking chair by a window to cozy a space up.


The pom-poms and tasseled curtain both bring a bit of whimsy and fun to the room.


I painted this picture of fox and girl for Esmae when she was a baby. I almost got rid of it until I realized how well it worked for the new baby's space.


We spiced up this bland craigslist changing table by painting boxes to organize diapers, wipes, blankets etc...


Another painting by artist Debbie Littledeer, entitled Bears in the Blueberry Patch. So sweet.


I often sit in here now rocking and thinking about the little suckling bundle that will joining us soon. Who will she be? How will she fill this space with her own remarkable self? It won't be long now until I find out...


 A few of the separate pieces I used

Nursery Mood Board


0 comments :

Post a Comment