Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Fall Flowers- Thoughts on the changing season

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

I picked a bouquet of fall flowers on my walk yesterday. Goldenrod and Queen Anne's Lace scattered amongst the dying grass. In the woods down by the river the trees were still holding onto their green, refusing to admit the end of a season. But the vast blue sky and the faintly sweet smell of decay gave it away. Autumn had arrived with her brisk air as sharp as any knife, ready to cut through the heat of summer and bleed the leaves red again.

This time of year gives me pause. It brings perspective, allowing me to gather and store my best thoughts, fattening me up on daydreams for the long winter to come. Fall is reflection. It is that moment before death when everything becomes more vivid, vibrant and precious precisely because it is all about to fade away.

That's how I've been feeling on these first days of Autumn. How about you? What do you love most about this time of year?






3 comments :

  1. Just wanted to let you know, I think you're a great writer! Autumn is my favorite season in NOVA. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Ms. Jackie! I missed the Fall when we were living in Southern Cali. There aren't really seasons there so it's nice to have it back.

      Delete
  2. colors. having ripened with the summer. thats my favorite thing about fall.

    ReplyDelete