Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Creative Space

Thursday, October 10, 2013

My husband (the handyman) recently custom built a "Jupi sized" workbench just for me. A space I can use for my jewelry making, painting and other crafty DIY projects. I'm telling you folks; it's the little things. Although, having a partner that supports you creatively is actually a HUGE thing in my book. The workbench now lives in our unfinished basement and I am beyond thrilled. No more working on the floor or at the kitchen table. It might be small but it's mine all mine. A space I can go to get my hands dirty and create. Where I can be as organized or as messy as I want to be. 

I went down there the other day during the girl's nap time to start on my very first project, a painting for Esmae's room. Working alone in the quiet house I felt more calm and content than I had in a long time. It made me think of Virgina Wolf's, "A Room of One's Own" where she made the case that every woman (writer) should have a room of her own in which to work. The same could be said for anyone who is at all creative needing some kind of space to create. Whether that is in the kitchen or garden or at a workbench in the basement. We may not all have the luxury of an entire room but perhaps we can at least carve out a little time and space for ourselves to bring peace of mind and our own kind of beauty into the world.



2 comments :

  1. I love this. Right now I'm battling with just giving myself enough of a balance between toddler, work, home, and creative projects. A great reminder that making Maya's Halloween costume is also about allowing myself time to create something for someone I love. Thanks Juniper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you can relate Jess. Balance is everything! Happy costume making to you!!!

    ReplyDelete