Staying Stylish in Suburbia

How we came to adopt a Rubber Fig Tree

Tuesday, October 29, 2013







One of the saddest things about our moving across country (other than saying goodbye to good friends, the Pacific ocean and amazing Mexican food) was having to leave all my plants behind. Back in Cali I had the most beautiful fiddle leaf fig. I ended up giving it to a friend who I knew would appreciate it but it was hard letting go and I still think of it longingly from time to time. There's just something about having big beautiful potted plants in the house that makes me oh so happy.

So why not just go out and buy another one you might ask. Well, for one thing they aren't cheap and the move put quite a strain on our wallets. We needed to catch up again and so I resigned myself to a life without indoor greenery at least for a time. It hasn't been easy though. I've had to avert my eyes and stomp on the gas every time I pass a nursery, of which there seem to be an obscene amount in our new little town. But sacrifices had to be made in the name of savings and I was determined to stay way from the "green stuff" no matter how sad and sterile our indoors seemed. 

Then, just this past weekend, things finally took a turn for the better in the plant department. A neighbor friend of mine, whose father recently passed away, invited me over to look at some of his things in case we could use anything for the house. I was grateful for the gesture (half of our house is still empty) and went over to see what I could find. Unfortunately there wasn't any furniture that I could use and I was about to call it quits when I suddenly saw it...The plant was a little sad looking. The pot it had been planted in had become far too small for its growing size and it was drooping to one side but it called out to me like a pound puppy with the promise of becoming a life long friend. 

I took it home, re-potted it and set it down beside the big windows in our otherwise barren front room. Now it spends its days happily upright and drinking in the sunlight while making the place feel much more homey. I found out that it's called a Rubber fig which felt oddly full circle. From one type of fig to another on a whole other coast. I'm dancing a little fig jig around here, happy to have a growing thing inside the house again and hoping it will help get me through my first long cold winter in seven years. xoxo




0 comments :

Post a Comment