Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Foodie Friday - Apple Dumplings

Friday, November 22, 2013

I love dumplings! Even the word dumpling sounds delicious to me. Go ahead. I dare you to say dumpling without feeling all warm and cozy. You know what else I love though? Biscuits! There is nothing like a warm buttery biscuit to make my mouth water. So when I saw this super easy recipe that combines two of my favs I had to give it a try. Lets just say I'm really, really happy I did!

Ingredients

1-2 Apples
1 lemon (optional)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 biscuits (canned or made from scratch)
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg

How it's done

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Slice apples vertically into 8 slices each
Squeeze lemon into a bowl and toss apples in it (optional.)

In a medium saucepan, mix 1 cup water, 3/4 cup of the sugar, butter and the vanilla. Bring sugar to boil over medium heat.

Separate each biscuit into two layers. Wrap biscuit layer around apple slice, stretching to ensure that it overlaps enough to seal the apple inside. You can go around it with a fork if you like. 
Place slices in casserole dish. Pour hot sugar mix over biscuits. Mix the rest of the sugar with the cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle over the top. Bake until golden brown. Aprox 35 minutes. 

Serve alone or with vanilla ice-cream. 






Fresh out of the oven





 A dumpling eating a dumpling




Bon appetite everyone!  Have a happy weekend! xoxo


0 comments :

Post a Comment