Staying Stylish in Suburbia

DIY Beaded Dreamcatcher

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My latest DIY project for Esmae's room was a dream catcher. I looked around at what materials I already had at the house and decided to go for a gentle pastel color palette that also went with her room. I also decided to go featherless, using beads from my jewelry making supplies instead. I had never made a dream catcher before but it was surprisingly easy and I think the outcome is rather lovely if I do say so myself. 



Dream catchers are meant to protect you while you sleep. The woven spider web design catches nightmares while allowing good dreams to glide down the strings to where you sleep.



 I'm going to hang it above her bed. That way when I kiss her good night and say sweet dreams I'll be even more certain that she'll sleep peacefully through the night.

Sweet Dreams everyone! xoxo

Instructions

I started with a wooden embroidery hoop and regular embroidery thread both of which can be bought at your local craft store. You'll want to choose the color thread of your liking (I used three different colors) and then begin wrapping as shown in Figure 1 being careful the hoop is tightly wrapped but not overlapped as to make ridges. 





Complete all the way around the hoop and then slightly overlap the starting piece of. Finish the wrapping with a single half hitch as shown. Cut off the remaining thread. Finish the wrapping with a single half hitch not as shown in Figure 2 and 3.



As in Figure 4 and 5, form a hanging loop with the end of the thread then tie around the loop with another half hitch as shown. Now cut off the remainder of the thread.



You are now ready to start the web. Completed it looks like Photo A.

Image and direction source

0 comments :

Post a Comment