Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Home for the holidays

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

We're back from our trip to the mountains! My husband and I both grew up in the same small town in Western North Carolina. He is six years older than me which means that even though we went to the same high school we didn't meet until after college. He was the hillbilly boy and I was the hippie chic. Driving down those winding country roads this past week we had fun swapping tales. There is literally a story around every corner and it's so nice to have met someone who truly understands where I come from and what it means to me.

Living in California as beautiful as it was with its vast ocean and expansive desert sky it never felt anything like home. I don't know how other people feel about where they grew up but for me this particular valley tucked away in the Blue Ridge mountains will always have my heart. Even if I can't see myself living there full time anymore returning there fills me with a sense of peace and belonging that never goes away. It might sound odd but I feel like the place itself is just as much a part of me as the family and friends that make up my history there.

The field across from my childhood home. 

Tradition

Growing up Thanksgiving was always my favorite holiday. I don't know when it started but for years my parents have hosted a huge group of folks, family and friends, in their tiny little house tucked away in the woods and looking out over our mountains. Busting at the seams is a good way to describe the celebration with people spilling out of the house with beers and hors d'oeuvres in hand to play a lively but relaxed game of kick ball out in the field before the real feast begins.






Circling up before the meal we always go around and say what we are thankful for. It's one of those traditions that people love to hate but secretly kind of like. In honor of that custom I thought about the things that made me thankful during our trip home. I am thankful for...

Parents and Grandparents...




It was a good visit with family. 

And Great-Grandparents...




There is something so sweet about seeing the youngest generation with the oldest.

And Cousins...




We had a cousin sleep-over with pancakes in the morning. I love that we live closer to them now so we can do things like this more often.

Small town country roads...



It snowed one of the days we were home. There's something about snow that makes things seem even more special and sentimental. Like my old town and the road leading home. 

 And play...






Esmae did a lot of playing on our trip. This included dress-up, swinging on my old childhood swing and building her first mini-snowman. Maslynn just enjoyed being passed around.

And fun with old friends...




I have known most of these folks since birth and the rest of them from around middle school and on. Even though we don't see each other often there is an ease that comes from that kind of shared history. I love them dearly.

And for my family and mountains..

It means the world to me to be able to share this place with my girls. I hope they will grow up to love it as much as I do.

Full disclosure it was not all puppies and rainbows on our trip home. Because B and I both have family there it is a lot of running around back and fourth to make sure we see everyone. It can get exhausting. Esmae wound up getting pretty sick half way through and the drive home with holiday traffic was a bit hellish. That being said it's always good get back to your roots. It's also nice to be back home in our own space now. I'm looking forward to slowly unpacking and decompressing for a couple days before Esmae's birthday party and then Christmas. Tis the season to be busy I suppose. I have so much to be thankful for though. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving too. Here's to the holidays! xoxo


2 comments :

  1. So lucky are you to be able to share those pretty children with their Grandparents and Great-Grandparents. And really what better way to soothe the soul than take it back to the place where it all started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Well put. It does indeed soothe the soul. Thanks for stopping by to read! :)

      Delete