Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Baby Gear Series- Sleep time

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I have quite a few friends who are pregnant for the first time, and wondering what to buy in preparation for their new roomie. I remember wading through all those baby products when I was preggers with our first. It was completely overwhelming. The sheer amount of stuff boggles the mind. It's hard to know what will be useful and what's just a gimmick. We've gone through a lot of trial and error since then, and this second time around I feel like I have a pretty firm grasp on what the essentials are, at least for us. I'm talking about the basics here. No bells and whistles, just the things I can't imagine doing without. 

Once I started compiling my recommendations, I realized that there was no way I could cover everything in one post. Instead, I am dedicating the rest of the week (that's right four whole days) to my top baby gear picks. Keep in mind that unless specified, I'm not endorsing any particular brand. This is basically just the list that I wish I had, had when I had my first baby. I hope it helps my newly preggers friends, and anyone else who happens to be in the same boat. 

So- kicking the week off, let's get those wee-ones to sleep, shall we...



Sleep time


 Product Descriptions


Apart from where the baby sleeps at night, a swing comes in handy for the purposes of naps. It can also keep the little one entertained and soothed if you need somewhere to put them down for a second. They take up a lot of space, which is annoying, but I've found that having a swing in the living room is a great way to keep an eye on a sleeping newborn throughout the day. Sometimes your arms just need a break, ya know!

What isn't a swaddling blanket useful for? They work well for swaddling of course, but they can also come in handy as impromptu nursing covers, or a clean place to lay baby down. They work well as make-shift carseat blankets and improvised shade as well. You get the point. Swaddling blankets are a must.

The reason I put this particular pair of PJ's on my must-have list is because of the zipper design. When the baby wakes up at two o'clock in the morning with a dirty diaper, you want to be able to change her with the least amount of fuss. Being able to unzip a onesie from the bottom helps you do a quick change without too much disturbance, allowing you to put the baby back to bed that much easier.

This product is heaven sent! Unlike a swaddle design, the woombie is made to be more like the womb itself. It holds the babies limbs close by, limiting the startle reflex without totally restricting their movements. Both of my babies used the woombie and it was so, so helpful with getting them to sleep peacefully and for longer periods of time. Weening them off of it was the only downside. One of my daughters did fine with the transition and the other struggled a bit. Still totally worth it though.

I didn't have a proper rocking chair when my first daughter was born. I do now though and it really does make a huge difference. I use it for nursing and rocking the baby to sleep. 

Being able to check on a baby without having to disturb them in the nursery is so important. As parents we worry a lot. Why is the baby crying? Is she stuck in some uncomfortable position? Why is the baby quiet? Is she still breathing? All of these worries can be easily calmed by this magical device. I honestly don't know what I'd do without it. I would definitely be way more stressed though.They are kind of pricey, and I"m not loyal to any one brand but I do think that the investment is well worth it. 

Other than the woombie, a white noise machine is probably the most important thing on this list. Start using it with your newborn every time you lay him or her down at night. The sound itself will begin to sooth them as they learn to associate it with bedtime. It also helps block out noises that might otherwise keep them awake. 


I hope this post has been helpful. Head on back over for more of my baby picks tomorrow. If you are new to the blog, like us on Facebook to stay up to date on our latests posts. xoxo



0 comments :

Post a Comment