Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Foodie Friday - Winter Salad Bowl

Friday, January 31, 2014

There's something about the new year that makes me crave healthy foods more than ever. It's not only the post-holiday regret from overdoing it on sweets. That probably plays into it, but more than anything I think it has to do with my yearning for the spring. It's that time of year again when the hubbub of Christmas is over and my cabin fever begins to set in. I miss the sunshine. I miss the ability to step outside my door without four layers on. And I really miss all the fruits and veggies that are so abundant during the warmer months.

One of the ways I've found to curve my impatience with the lingering cold, is by preparing winter salads to satisfy my fresh food cravings. Sometimes I forget how many delicious and hearty ingredients can be found this time of year as well. This particular salad combo is one of my favorites. It's packed with flavor, texture and deliciousness. Here's the simple recipe. Maybe it will help feed your need for fresh, healthy food too.  xoxo



Ingredients 

Carrots
Brussel sprout
Butternut squash
Sweet potato
Pomegranate
Couscous
Feta cheese
Salad mix

Lemon 
Dijon mustard
Olive oil 
Garlic 
Salt and Pepper
Sugar

Directions

Set oven to 425
Chop preferred amount of carrots, brussel sprouts, sweet potato and butternut squash
Toss vegetables in olive oil and lay out on backing sheet.
Cook for 35-45 min or until tender.

While veggies are cooking follow instructions on box to cook cous cous and make this simple lemon salad dressing.

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons sugar
2 crushed garlic cloves 
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper

Combine lemon juice, oil, sugar, garlic, and Dijon mustard.
Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. 

Take veggies out of oven and toss in salt and pepper to taste.

Arrange in a bowl with cooked couscous and salad greens. Sprinkle with feta cheese and pomegranate seeds. Drizzle with lemon salad dressing.

0 comments :

Post a Comment