Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Goal Setting 2014

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Resolutions can be daunting. They have an almost scolding undertone, don't you think? Goals on the other hand feel like something I can aspire to. In 2014 resolutions are out and goal setting is in. Here are some of the things I'd like to work towards this year. No pressure just hopeful dreaming and scheming. 

New Years List

1. Start Having Date Nights Again

Confession time. We haven't had a date night since our overnight babymoon last March. Sad but true. It's nearly impossible to get away together with a nursing newborn. Even if I wanted to pump, Mazzy refuses to take a bottle. I am committed to nursing until she is at least a year old. Once she is be able to drink regular milk and eat solids I'll feel much more comfortable leaving her with someone else. One of my goals for the coming year, therefore, is finding a fabulous trust-worthy baby sitter so that my honey and I can take time out to have fun just the two of us. I don't care what we do. We can catch a movie or peruse a bookstore. We can go out for dinner or go see some live music. The point is we need that one on one time outside of our regular routine as parents.

2. Read more...even if that means listening to audio books

Wrangling two kids has left me more exhausted at the end of the day than I'd care to admit. I do a lot of my blogging in the evenings which leaves very little time for actual reading. Now and then I'll get a chapter in during a hot bath but I haven't finished a book in months. So another goal is to start and finish more books this year, even if that means listening to them on audible.com throughout the day. I need more literature in my life. It's what inspires my own writing. Not to mention a great intellectual escape from all the baby talk.

3. Start running and regular workouts

It's been a long road to recovery after a somewhat traumatic delivery. My body took a beating and I need to get back into shape. Luckily, Mazzy is turning six months soon which means that I can start jogging with her in the stroller. I'm also starting an anaerobic routine up again. I want to feel good about how I look, but more importantly, I want to gain my strength back. Now that we're done having kids, (oh yes we're so DONE) I want to be the kind of mom that can go snowboarding or rafting with my girls. I feel like it's my job to set an example for them in that way and I don't want to miss out on anything because I'm too weak or don't feel up to it physically.

4. Take a class in something new

I never want to stop learning or trying new things. I'm thinking about taking a course in photography, graphic design or possibly even dance. (This might not end up happening this year but a girl can dream.)

5. Join or start a writers group

I had a great writers community back in San Diego. I miss that. It was an important part of my life that I'd like to create on the East Coast as well. I've found a few groups to try out and if they don't feel right then I might just start my own.

6. Take girl's trip to NYC

My best friend and I recently decided that when I'm finally done nursing we should take a girl's trip together. We are thinking about taking the train up to NYC. I haven't been there in years and what could better than a trip to the big apple with your bestie!?

And while we're on the subject I'd also love to see my West Coast BFF make a trip out here for a visit. When you coming Ash!?

7. Play more guitar

My Mr. got me a guitar for my birthday last year. I haven't had that much time to play since having the new baby. This year I want to learn more songs. My goal is to be able to bring it along on camping trips with us. One of my favorite things is sitting around a camp fire listening to the guitar. I figure why count on somebody else to play the music when I can learn to play it myself?!

8. Grow My Blog

I've had such a great time blogging over the past year. In 2014 I'd love to take the momentum and build on it. As I mentioned yesterday I have some exciting collaborations in the works along with design ideas and a new home for the blog soon. I can't wait to see where this year takes me in terms of turning what I love to do into possible avenues of work.

9. Continue our house projects

We have so many projects to tackle at our new house including painting and making a lot of our own furniture. I'm excited to see what we can get done in terms of home improvement in the coming year. Who knows we might even get around to starting a little garden. Everything is easier when your not nine months pregnant.

10. Be more Present

With everything that has happened in 2013. Moving across country, new jobs, new house, new baby. It's definitely been a bit overwhelming to say the least. I really want to work on slowing down and being more present, especially during my family time. Looking back at pictures of this past year it's amazing how much my girls have grown. My time with them and with my husband is precious. I want to soak it all in. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


And there you have it folks. That's what I'd like to see happen in the coming year. What about you? What kind of goals are on your list for 2014?


2 comments :

  1. Hey, it's Ash, the girl in your article! Definitely coming this year, have my tickets just haven't set the date. Do I need to wait til Maslyn turns one or can I come sooner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same about the resolutions but these are good ones. The last one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete