Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Mazzy's Easter Baptism

Monday, April 21, 2014

This Easter (or the Saturday before) was especially sweet because our little Maslynn got Baptized. No matter what you do or don't believe, there is something so sweet about having your baby blessed. My mother-in-law was here acting as her Godmother and even Esmae made it through the ceremony without too much wiggling. I love how totally relaxed our church is here. I have always been a spiritual person but I am also full of questions and doubt. Belief is so personal. Faith means something different to everyone. I have come to appreciate the power of prayer though, especially within a community of people. This church is perfect for me in that sense. They encourage debate and discussion. In their words- "We are an open, welcoming, searching, spiritually pondering community. We come from all walks of life, from different points of view, from very young to wise elder. In all we do, in every prayer we make, as we read and listen, discuss and share, we celebrate the presence of God in the diversity of humanity."

At the moment of her Baptism, Maslynn became very calm, even as they dipped the water out over her head. I got teary and felt full to the brim with love (just as I did when Esmae was Baptized.) I also felt the presence of my Oma who passed away years ago when I was in college. I used to attend Mass with her as a little girl and I wore her cross to keep her close that day. I know that she was there with us and so happy for me and my family in that moment. 

I have experienced a lot of different ceremonies in my life. Whether it was a Hindu flower blessing, a Native American Blessingway, or a baby's Baptism. Ceremony is something that I have always appreciated. It connects us to each other while at the same time reaffirming the sacred within ourselves and a higher power beyond our comprehension. I am grateful for all my experiences and for the blessing of a new baby entering her own journey of spirituality in a safe and open-minded community. 

Here are a few pictures from that day...












Blessings to you all and happy Easter (if that's your thing) from our family to yours! xoxo

0 comments :

Post a Comment