Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Pinterest- Oh so Pintastic or oh so depressing?

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Let's talk Pinterest for a moment, shall we? Even though it's a fairly new phenomenon, (I started pinning about two years ago along with most folks) I can scarcely imagine doing without it now a days. Honestly though, the concept of collecting my favorite things in one spot is nothing new to me. Case and point this blog. As a teenager I had journals full of torn out pieces of inspiration. I would write down a poem I loved, cut out a dress from a magazine, or paste in the CD cover of my favorite band. It was all there in my notebook just in a less organized, more jumbled sort of a way. Whereas the Internet has made it that much easier to gather inspiration from a plethora of places, Pinterest has made collecting that inspiration a cinch, with shared ideas and creativity in an eye-catching layout that makes a visual person such as myself swoon. 

But here's the catch. As fun and addictive as Pinterest is, it also has the potential to become a depressing vice for some. Recently there has been a rise in what is being called, "Pinterest Stress," wherein pinners (mostly female) feel like they can't live up to the standards presented in their pins. They're right of course, they can't live up to it. That's why it's called "picture perfect" and not real life perfect. From flawless baked goods to beautifully styled outfits, impeccable interior design, and seemingly effortless DIY projects, it's impossible to attain that type of perfection in all facets of life.

Pinterest (in my opinion) should be about triggering your own creativity, not trying to live up to some kind of false standard. In other words, don't buy the hype. No matter what it looks like, no one's life, not even Miss Martha Stewart herself, is that perfect. And who wants perfection anyways? I don't know about you, but I'm not striving to be some new breed of hipster Stepford wife. I love discovering new things and getting creative but perfection is boring. Beauty is in the flaws and the fails and the mistakes. 

Having said all that, here are a few ideas to help minimize Pin-Stress. 

Don't compare. As the saying goes, comparison is the thief of happiness. It's important to realize that no matter how effortless a picture or project on Pinterest appears, it probably wasn't. Just as with blogs and Facebook, you can't compare your behind the scenes with everyone else's highlight reel. The next time you see a perfect pin of something, try imagining the chaos or ugliness right beyond that cropped shot. I swear it helps.

Realistic pinning. Choose your pins wisely: If it looks too complicated or expensive then leave it alone. There are plenty of ideas and projects that are totally doable. I'm not saying never pin anything outlandish or dream-worthy but it's also important to stay grounded in the realm of reality. I'm a terrible seamstress, for example, so why would I pin a bunch of DIY sewing projects that I'm sure to feel lousy about never completing or not doing well enough? I'd be much better off pinning painting projects that are still challenging but right up my ally. 

Make it your own. Try to enjoy the beauty of whatever pin you have found without feeling like you have to copy it to the tee. Pinterest posts should be used as a springboard for your imagination. Let them inspire you to do something similar but all your own.

Limit yourself. I actually find mindless pinning to be quite relaxing. I do it after the kids go to sleep when I'm too tired to do much else. For those folks that feel that it creates stress in their life though, it  might be a good idea cut back on your pinning. Instead of using Pinterest for entertainment, look at it as a tool. Log in if you have a birthday party to plan for or a special dinner to make but otherwise leave it be. 

Where do you fall in the Pinterest spectrum. Does it make you happy and relaxed or stressed out and sad. Or do you fall somewhere in between?? 

P.S. Below are a few of the things you'll find me pinning away at...and much, much more.  Feel free to swing on by and follow my boards here if you are so inclined. 
xoxo

Food and Drink


Interior Design

DIY Ideas

Anything Kid related



Clothes, jewelry, hair etc...

(The images above are not mine but can be found on my Pinterest boards.)

1 comments :

  1. You have totatlly pinned Pinterest for what it is !! Thanks

    ReplyDelete