Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Thrifted Antlers Transformed

Thursday, April 17, 2014

I love trolling thrift stores for the perfect find. Sometimes what I come away with is already in perfect shape. More often than not though it needs a bit of tweaking. Seeing the diamond in the rough is part of the fun though. Here's my latest little score/project.

The loot

Antler candle holder
Amount spent = $ 5.00
My Idea- Transform this ugly candle holder into a decorative ring holder for my kitchen windowsill.

I've been on the hunt for something practical and aesthetically pleasing to use as a ring holder for when I'm doing the dishes. It needed it to fit on my kitchen windowsill and when I saw these antlers at Goodwill I thought they could work. It took some doing but I love how it turned out. 



Steps to transform





  1. I filled in the candle holes with spackle 
  2. After letting the spackle dray I sanded it smooth with an electric sander
  3. I then spray painted the entire antler white using three coats of paint
  4. I marked off sections using 1/8th inch painters tape 
  5. I painted the sections with a bright color and took off the tape after letting the paint dry.

 Before and After 



My Windowsill 



I love it so much. It took a little work but it's a one of a kind piece, pretty to look at and the perfect solution for my rings. Yay!!!

0 comments :

Post a Comment