Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Yard Sale Score

Monday, April 28, 2014

Every spring our neighborhood holds a community-wide yard sale. Households eager to clear out their junk (or well loved treasures depending on how you look at it) haul their unwanted items out onto their driveways in the hopes that someone will take it off their hands. It's actually a pretty fun day. We didn't sell anything this year but our neighbors across the street did. We went over there to check it out and chat with a few other friends from around the block. The kids had fun running around, offering lemonade for 25 cents and temporary tattoos for free. 

(Esmae's first tat at the new garage tattoo parlor across the street.)

After a while we decided to see what the rest of the hood had to offer. As I've mentioned a time or two before, I'm a big fan of a deal, yard sales included. I didn't have any expectations going into our walk. It was more about getting out in the spectacular spring morning. Still, we made out pretty well if I do say so myself. Here are a few pictures of the yard sale loot we came away with. 

Teacup Set 





I was tickled pink when I spotted this pretty tea cup set! I love the details and it only set us back three dollars. 

Shot glasses


We lost our only shot glasses during our cross-country move last year. I found these two for only fifty cents. It's not like we're sitting around taking tequila shots all the time but they do come in handy for making mix drinks or the occasional house party. Bottoms up!


Bicycle Trailer 


This was our biggest score by far! We've been wanting a bicycle trailer to take the kiddos out on rides with. They're expensive though (at least 400 dollars for a new one.) We came away with this lovely Burley trailer (in perfect condition I might add) for only 100 bucks. Not bad, eh? I'm super excited to go for a family ride soon. In fact, I'm pretty sure I know what we'll be doing on most weekends form now on!  

Yard sale shopping tips


What about you? Do you brake for yard sale signs? Ever find anything good? 
Here are a few tips to keep in mind the next time you're out getting your yard sale shopping on. 
  1. Be friendly. It shouldn't have to be said but friendliness goes a long way in this world. Get to know the people selling their stuff. You might even discover a good story behind whatever it is you are interested in buying plus, it never hurts when it comes down to negotiating the price. Which brings me to my number two tip. 
  2. Always negotiate the price. That is unless it's so low that you don't mind paying for it. I didn't haggle over the three dollar tea set or 50 cent shot glasses but I did get the seller to come down a bit on the bike trailer. 
  3. Be willing to walk away. Have a price in mind that you are willing to pay and if the seller won't meet you there then walk away. Otherwise it won't be long after you get your stuff home that buyers remorse will start to kick in. 
P.S. This yard sale sign made me laugh. Have a great week everyone! xoxo




0 comments :

Post a Comment