Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Making the Switch to a Safer Water Bottle

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Our family drinks a lot of water. Back in San Diego I was known by my friends for always having my trusty Nalgene bottle by my side. It was my number one accessory. Up until recently I toted that thing everywhere I went. My husband is the same way, and we've raised our girls to drink tons of liquids throughout the day as well. My point all of this being that I thought we were doing great in the water bottle department.

Then, a few months ago, we had a visit from my best friend and her husband. He took one look at our family of re-usable plastic bottles and and shook his head in dismay. "You have got to throw those out," He said. I was shocked. He went on to explain that drinking out of plastic, even BPA-free plastic, can be extremely detrimental to our health. His advice was to replace our drinking bottles with either glass or stainless steel.

After that conversation I decided to do some research of my own. Apparently, there have been new studies that show that not only is BPA dangerous, (potentially causing things like Diabetes, ADHD, infertility and Cancer) but chemicals with Estrogenic Activity (EA) are also harmful. That's a big  deal since BPA-free does not mean EA-free. Estrogenic Activity has been linked to early puberty, reproduction issues including reduced sperm count, obesity, and an increased risk of certain kinds of cancer. All of which I would very much like us to steer clear of.

Understanding that was all the motivation I needed to make a switch for our family. We are rough on our stuff and I knew that glass water bottles wouldn't last long without shattering. I opted for stainless steel instead. We chose Klean Kanteen bottles because they are a well known and trusted brand. We ordered them from Amazon and they were delivered within two days. It felt great to toss our old plastic bottles into the recycling bin. Klean Kanteen is also great because they have designs for every age, including sippy-bottles for babies. Below are the ones we ordered.

A Better Choice for our family



Safe Water Bottles- Klean Kanteen



Esmae chose a purple kids bottle and was thrilled when it arrived in the mail.






0 comments :

Post a Comment