Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Workout Motivation Trick

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

I wish I could say I was one of those people that craves a good workout. Despite the fact that I ALWAYS feel better when I exercise, I usually need a little extra motivation to get myself going. For my Mother's Day gift this year, B got me a monthly subscription to audible.com. It's pretty much my favorite thing ever! For a small fee you can receive one or two stories a month. They've got a huge variety of everything from fiction, non-fiction, classic literature, biographies, memoirs etc...

It was with the help this magnificent service, that I concocted the perfect plan to trick myself into wanting to getting all red-faced and sweaty while running with a double stroller. Want to know my secret? Here it is. First, I get a really interesting audio novel or memoir. Then, I only allow myself to listen to it when I'm working out. That's it!

As I'm sure you know, a good book can be quite addictive and using this little motivational trick keeps me looking forward to even the toughest exercise routine. Of course it takes another kind of discipline altogether not to listen to the story all the time. I'd be lying if I said I never cheated. I try to push stop once I'm done exercising though. That way I find myself looking forward to my workouts just so I can hear what happens next in the story. Brilliant, right?!

I'd love to hear from you on this. Do you ever listen to audio books? Ever have a hard time finding the motivation to workout? What do you think of this solution?



Here I am red-faced but happy (with audible on my headphones) after my morning run through the neighborhood.

0 comments :

Post a Comment