Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Baked Clam Taco with Pineapple-Nectarine Slaw

Friday, June 27, 2014

Have you ever been walking through the grocery store and stopped to sample something so surprisingly good that you had to get it even though it wasn't on your list? That's exactly what happened to me the other day at BJ's. They were giving out samples of baked clam strips, of all things, and I wound up with them in my cart. It wasn't until I got them home that I realized I needed to figure out what to do with them 

One of my husband's favorite dishes in the world is fish tacos. I don't eat fish and never cook it so I thought it would be nice if I made something similar out of the baked clams. I also have a wonderful memory of the two of us chowing down on a basket full of fresh from the ocean fried clams at a seaside restaurant during our trip up the coast from San Diego to San Francisco. Food is a lot like music in that way. It evokes feelings and memories far beyond the taste itself. Luckily, the tacos turned out great and I wanted to share them on the blog today. Buen provecho!

Ingredients 

Flour Tortillas
Breaded Clams (frozen)
Avocados
Grated Cheese
Pineapple 
Nectarines
Cilantro
Cabbage 
Romain Lettuce
Mayo
Plain Greek Yogurt
Chipotle Paste
Lime
Garlic
Salt and Pepper

Slaw

1/3 of a Whole Pineapple chopped to medium cubes
2 Nectarines chopped to medium cubes
1/3 Cup Cilantro chopped to small pieces
2 Cup of Cabbage chopped to small pieces
2 Cup Romaine Lettuce chopped to small pieces

Chipotle Sauce

1/4 cup Mayo
1/4 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1Tablespoon Chipotle paste
1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
2 Cloves Garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste
Combine ingredients and stir

Instructions

Preheat oven and cook clams as directed on box
Meanwhile put together the slaw and make the chipotle sauce
Slice avocado
When clams are done baking warm up tortillas in cast iron skillet
Assemble tacos by layering the slaw, then the clams, then the avocado and cheese.
Finally drizzle chipotle sauce over top and serve with a side of black beans. Enjoy!

0 comments :

Post a Comment