Staying Stylish in Suburbia

DIY Bleach-Pen Throw Pillow Project

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A couple months back we got a new couch off of craigslist...wait for it...for FREE!!! It's a great couch in perfect condition but it looked mighty lonely sitting there without any pillows to brighten it up. I found most of the pillows on Etsy. The only problem was, I wanted an orange pillowcase and couldn't find one that suited my fancy. My solution was to buy a plain pillowcase off of Amazon and tweak it myself. I've been wanting to try a DIY bleach pen project and this seemed like the perfect opportunity. 


The process was fairly simple.  
  1. The first thing I did was to decide the pattern I wanted on the pillowcase. 
  2. Next, I drew the pattern out with a piece of white chalk in order to avoid making any big mistakes. 
  3. I put a plastic trash bag inside the pillowcase to make sure it didn't bleed through.   
  4.  Then I went over the chalk outline with a bleach pen. You can get them anywhere but I bought mine at Target.
  5. I waited about fifteen minutes until I could see the bleach was starting to spread a bit. The longer you wait the more it bleeds out so the amount of time you wait depends on the type of look you're going for.
  6. I rinsed the entire pillow case in cold water.
  7. Finally, I put the pillowcase through the dryer.





This is my kind of project, easy and super satisfying. I love the final look. Now we have the perfect pillow companion for our new couch. Yay!!!

0 comments :

Post a Comment