Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Foodie Friday- Eggplant Stack

Friday, August 8, 2014

I love eggplant. I love its deep, dark purple color and its smooth hourglass shape. Most of all though, I LOVE how it tastes! I bought some baby eggplants at the Farmer's Market the other day, along with a huge heirloom tomato. I wanted to make something that highlighted the two ingredients. What I came up with was a rawer version of Eggplant Parmesan. It was so simple, fresh, and delicious that I had to share it on the blog today.


Ingredients

Eggplant
Large tomato
Fresh Basil
Feta Cheese
Balsamic Vinegar
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Instructions

  1. Cut eggplant from short end to make round steaks
  2. Place sliced eggplant steaks onto a cooking sheet and sprinkle with salt on both sides, setting them aside for at least an hour to allow them to sweat. This ensures that they will not be too soggy.
  3. In the meantime, slice large tomato and add pepper.
  4. After the eggplants are done sweating, pat them with a paper towel to remove excess water.
  5. Heat Olive Oil in frying pan (You want enough oil to completely cover the pan)
  6. Fry eggplants until brown and fully cooked on both sides.
  7. Start stacking! I did mine as follows- eggplant, fresh basil, tomato, and feta followed by a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Continue stacking until you are happy with the amount. Add salt and pepper to taste and dig in!
Give this a try and tell me what you think. Happy weekend everyone! xoxo

0 comments :

Post a Comment