Staying Stylish in Suburbia

Roaming the Blue Ridge

Thursday, August 28, 2014

We recently returned from a trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains where my husband and I were born and raised. I think I've written about this on the blog before, but it is remarkable the kind of pull that place has over me. People talk about that with the ocean. That feeling of peace and a release that comes with staring out over the vastness of the sea. It's that way with the mountains for me. They remind me of my place in the world while at the same time making me feel humble. In their presence I am both small and secure.


We took our first little hike as a family there. It was short but steep as we climbed up, up, up to a beautiful spot overlooking the valley below. Soon all that green will turn to shades of yellow and red. It will be breathtaking in its own way. Those layers of green against that blue, gray sky is what lives in my heart though. 





I feel so fortunate to be able to share these mountains with my girls. Even if they don't grow up here, we live close enough now that I hope they will know these hills, and maybe even feel that same pull back to them one day.
What about y'all? Other than family ties, do you feel connected to the place you grew up? Do you still live there or are you happy to be far, far away? Sometimes I think if I still lived in these mountains I wouldn't feel the same. I know that I wouldn't be the same person in the sense that I  wouldn't have had the chance to grow into myself in the same way. Distance gives you that all-important perspective but it also makes the heart grow fonder. I have days when I wish we could live there again and days when I am so grateful that we don't. I wonder what my children will feel about the place they are being raised. Will they want to flee or return? Hopefully the latter but only time will tell. xoxo

0 comments :

Post a Comment