Staying Stylish in Suburbia

DIY Gold-Dipped Side Table Before and After

Thursday, September 18, 2014

I've been meaning to do this post for a while now. It's one of those projects that I wish I had better side by side before and after pictures for. If you scroll down through the photos though, you'll definitely see the dramatic difference. 


Okay, so here's the back story. I had my eyes peeled for a pair of side tables that we could use in our family room. I spotted these two ugly ducklings during a drop-off at the thrift store. They were actually in the Goodwill parking lot, and hadn't even been priced yet. I asked them how much I could get for the pair and they told me forty dollars. I didn't want to pay that much, especially since I could see they were going to take a lot of work. I pointed out all the flaws, yellow, nasty discoloration and all, and told them I would pay 20 for the both. They agreed. 


Even though they were nasty and dirty and yellowed with age, I could see the diamond in the rough. The shape and size was perfect for our space, and so I went to work fixing them up...


The first thing I had to do was sand them both down completely. This meant going over them once with a rough paper to get all the old paint off and then afterwards with a finer grit to get them smooth again. 

Next, came the priming and painting with one coat of primer and two coats of white paint each.

I knew that I wanted to do a gold dipped leg on these tables so the next thing I did was measure the same amount on each leg and tape it off with painter's tape.

I then covered the rest of the table in paper. You could also use newspaper for this part. 

Next, I spray-painted the legs with gold spray-paint I bought at Michael's. 

Finally, I removed the painter's tape before painting both tables in a clear coat for protection. And...


Ta-da!!! Two beautiful custom-made gold-dipped side tables for twenty bucks, plus paint so maybe thirty bucks total. 

I love how they fit into into our house both functionally and aesthetically. Score!!!

0 comments :

Post a Comment